>>Is it not possible to mask a clip into which you draw things using
>>the drawing API?

I'm not totally sure about masking, but in general, I think there are
some bugs or conflicts with a movie clip drawn upon with the draw API
and other elements of the movie.  I'm not sure this is as related as you
would like, but for example, I had an issue with one of those drawn-on
movie clips which had another movie clip as a child, which had a
textfield on it.  It worked fine until the textfield was updated with
new data - then the old text still showed, and the new text was also
drawn over the top - so it looked like there were two overlapping
textfields.  If I separated the textfield from the clip being drawn on,
it worked fine.  I never could figure out the behavior, but I assumed it
had to do with the clips and children of clips drawn on by the draw API
and the way the player renders them/redraws them.  In another case,
portions of v2 components always displayed below clips which were drawn
upon - the drawn on clips were always on top.

Post again if you figure it out.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organization Effectiveness - Technology Solutions