> The fact that you can name the pioneers (and I know who they are) is
> an indication of how small the group is. A few hundred, heck even a
> few thousand, is a **VERY** small number.  There are hundreds of
> thousands (or perhaps millions) of people that are serious programmers
> in Java that have been doing it for many years.

Just because you've got a degree doesn't mean you know what you're
doing.  There are thousands of "serious" programmers out there with
degrees that are just mediocre.  That piece of paper doesn't mean what
it used to.

That list of names isn't just a list of Flash pioneers, but talented
hard-working developers who continue to be some of the most influential
people in the business.  Some of them had no previous programming
experience before Flash and now they're some of the best Flash
developers in the world all without a piece of paper that says they sat
in a classroom on some campus for years and without knowing so-called
"real" programming languages.

Saying AS1 isn't real programming is, IMO, unfair.  Somebody programmed
a graphic adventure game in Flash 3 with inventory, etc. using a
turing-machine movieclip schema.  It must have been quite a challenge to
code but it indeed was programming, and probably smarter and better than
many people who code in AS2 today are capable of.

I don't have a CompSci degree. I only ever took one programming class; a
one semester course for Director 3 at a community college taught by a
guy who wanted me to do everything in the score because he didn't really
understand Lingo.  The rest I've learned by doing, reading and, luckily,
being mentored.  If an employer doesn't want me because I don't have a
CompSci degree, it's their loss, not mine, because I know Flash better
than many people who claim to be Flash developers out there simply
because nobody told me what its limits or capabilities were, I found
them out for myself in order to "make the impossible possible" for
clients.  :)