It's the fastest because:

Pre-decrementation (--i) is faster than post-decrementation (i--)
And substraction (- (-1) is faster than addition (+ 1).

They are faster because it's less code that gets produced when you
compile.
http://flasm.sourceforge.net/#optimization

For most cases, it's a matter of milliseconds or even less, which isn't
that big a deal, but I use it anyway because it's a good habit to have
and it makes my code logic work with that in mind always so when it does
make a difference in seconds, it's already there.