I guess what it depends on is what you're doing with that for loop.

If you're using it to attach or create or animate movieclips, or parse
through xml or a recordset, or anything that would make Flash
unresponsive during the loop, then the benefits of while (--a -(-1))
outweigh the readability compared to while (a--).

As a result, I use it pretty often.  ;)

So, now I just end up using it for everything since it's become a habit.
The flipside is that sometimes I need to do forward loops for
reiterating to maintain proper order.  However, I would have to do that
anyway regardless of which backwards looping method I used.