Lately I actually copy all packages to a folder within my project's
folder. Why? Suppose you have a package and you use it on project A.
Later, you use it on project B, and realize there are some issues, so
you change some of the code. Project B finishes. Then, later on, you
find you have to go back to project A with some tweaks and republish it.
Because of changes in the package, there may be problems--at best you
will still have to spend time regression testing.

Copying your packages to a project-local folder means that you have a
secure "snapshot" of the package.
―
Mike Keesey