Untested but what about something like this:

[as]

var btns = new Array(mc0_btn, mc1_btn, mc2_btn, mc3_btn, mc4_btn,
mc5_btn);
function scaleUp(mc) {
        mc._xscale = mc._yscale=150;
}
function scaleDown(mc) {
        mc._xscale = mc._yscale=50;
}
function hiliteButton(btn_num, transFuncOn, transFuncOff) {
        var l = btns.length;
        for (var i = 0; i<l; i++) {
                if (i == btn_num) {
                        transFuncOn(btns[i]);
                }
                else {
                        transFuncOff(btns[i]);
var l = btns.length;
for (var i = 0; i<l; i++) {
        btns[i].idx = i;
        btns[i].onPress = function() {
                hiliteButton(this.idx, scaleUp, scaleDown);
        };
}
[/as]