Hi Aaron,

By my definition, a preloader plays until the rest of the content is sufficiently loaded for the .swf to stream at the user's bandwidth. If you just want something to play in its entirety, you're talking about an introduction, which is created the same as any other Flash content. If you need something that will play all the way through but then do some sort of waiting if the rest of the content isn't sufficiently loaded, then you're back to the concept of inserting a preloader. So you see, it's either an intro (which plays through once and moves on to the main content), a preloader (which plays until content is sufficiently loaded) or a combination of both.

The tour started by showing a golf ball traveling in a loop. Each time the ball got close to the hole, the swf evaluated whether the main content had sufficiently loaded. If the enough content was loaded, the ball fell into the hole with a nice "clunk" sound, and the main content played. On the other hand, if the main content wasn't ready, the golf ball travelled back to its starting point and then looped to the hole again, where it would once again check loading status. So the ball would always travel at least to the hole, and the main content would never play without the user seeing the ball fall into the hole. The ball traveling to the hole is the intro part. The ball looping continuously until the content is ready is the preloader part.

Marc