It is a hard limit of object within Flash. It is similar to the hard limit
of image sizes within Director as well. It has nothing to do with memory use
but rather they way the app and player were programmed.

Charles P.

On 10/5/06, Dave Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks for your response Micha

> this has to with other things. the 2880 px stuff is related  to one
> single object, you can have as much object of that size as you
> want, as long as you have enough ram.
>> I wanted to create an image object 3500 X 300 pixels which will
>> take  up about 4 Mb - but I can't
> sure you can't. you gave your answer in the above quoted text.
> your  limitation is 2880 px square. and 3500 beats that.

No I didn't give the answer. I can understand why 2880 X 2880 might
be considered excessively big, but to have 2880 pixels as a limit for
a single dimension is silly - unless there is some other reson I
don't yet understand. And if another reason exists, then I want to
understand what it is.
For example, if I have an image object 2881 X 10 pixels, that would
be only about 280 kb. Why can't I create such an object?

I don't want to scale my image up because I  know it will degrade.

Thanks

David