Hi,
you should put the conditional in a callback, because when execution
reaches the conditional xml parsing might not have finished parsing.

var xml:XML = new XML();
xml.ignoreWhite = true;
xml.parseXML(someTextVar);
xml.onLoad = function(success:Boolean):Void {
        if (xml.status == 0) {
                trace("Success!");
        } else {
                trace("Error in XML! Code: " + xml.status);

Note that the "success" argument can be ignored if you're using
functions like parseXML(), because it's got to do with the success of