Hi again,

"Browser differences are browser differences"

Well, I see your point here, but I think we're not talking about small
things like rendering the border 1px bigger. We're talking about a
huge amount of problems that just make the use of wmode impossible,
IMHO.

"The Player is the same across environments, but it's the environments
themselves which differ, and when we ask the browsers to do more, their
results vary more."

Ok, fair enough, it seems everything it's up to the browsers. However,
users, bosses and even developers don't care about that. What they see
is that the application is not working properly. What they see is that
Flash is doing "weird" things _again_. What they see is that they
cannot trust Flash.

If it's not up to Adobe fixing this, then I change my question to: Is
Adobe NOW actively talking with browser manufacturers to solve this?

If not (so for Adobe the behaviour of wmode is fine or not so
important), please remove it from the player. IT JUST DOES NOT WORK,
not even on Win/IE. It's _still_ causing a huge amount of problems to
a huge amount of people*.

If you're, then at least I'll try to keep my faith.

Thanks John for your time and efforts to clarify, once again, what's going on.

Cheers,

Juan

ps: please don't tell me things like "if you don't like Flash go and
do php" or "go to Slashdot to meet your geek friends".

* The other day in my office wmode was the answer to a design problem.
So when they came to me and say:

"Hey! I've fixed it, we're going to use wmode, look at Adobe's
website, we can do it, I thought you were the Flash guy, you should
know those things!"

I had to waste 1 hour telling them that using it will cause "problems".

"Which problems?", they asked.
"A few". I replied.
"Ok, which ones?".
"It depends, you can choose from this list, who knows what's going to
happen"...

On 10/10/06, John Dowdell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Mick G wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is a way to embed flash transparent
> (wmode=transparent) on a layer above an embedded Windows Media Player
> active-x control?

Possibly, but I'd hesitate anyway. I think the Windows Media Player,
implemented as an ActiveX Control, also has support for rendering to the
browser's compositing buffer via WMODE requests, rather than blasting
directly to screen. Just as DHTML cannot layer above SWF unless the SWF
is routed to the browser's drawing buffer via WMODE, the WMP would need
to go into the browser's buffer to layer anything atop it.

But I'd hesitate to do so, though, because drawing video offscreen
before transferring it to the video display would give a performance
hit, and you'd also likely drop frames from timing differences too...
the video codec renders every X milliseconds, the browser refreshes its
display every Y milliseconds, and some info would be lost in the middle.
Steven Sacks has info on the scrolling issues too.

If you must use WMP (for rights-management, eg), then could you keep it
drawing directly to screen, and surround the WMP with with four framing
SWFs, intercommunicating through LocalConnection? This would be a little
more development work, but would make less work for the browser's
rendering pipeline. Possible...?

Zárate wrote:
 > You might want to think it twice before using wmode:
 > http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wmode+problems&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
 > Anyone knows if Adobe is trying to fix this for the next release
 > of the player?

Browser differences are browser differences. When WMODE is changed, then
the Player changes the address in memory to which it sends its pixels.
Over the past eight years the Player has implemented WMODE requests,
we've seen different browsers print upside down, not pass screenreader
instructions, do funny things with keyboard entry, when the browser gets
in the middle of the rendering pipeline like this.

The Player is the same across environments, but it's the environments
themselves which differ, and when we ask the browsers to do more, their
results vary more.

More info's available with this search:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wmode+problems+dowdell

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://www.zarate.tv