It's becuase you have wordWrap set to true. Here's a quick and dirty example
- try setting back to true to see the difference.

this.createTextField('subhead', 20, 1, 435, 434, 200);
with (this.subhead) {
        selectable = true;
        wordWrap = false;
        multiline = true;
        autoSize = 'center';
        border = true;
}
var sMyString:String = "This is my textfield string, la, la la, la la, and
it is centred, la, la la, la la";
var nCharNum:Number = 0;
function fMakeString(mcScope_psd, fltText_psd) {
        trace(mcScope_psd);
        mcScope_psd[fltText_psd].text +=
mcScope_psd.sMyString.charAt(mcScope_psd.nCharNum++);
        if (mcScope_psd.nCharNum == mcScope_psd.sMyString.length) {
                clearInterval(mcScope_psd.iMakeText);
iMakeText = setInterval(fMakeString, 50, this, "subhead");

This email may contain confidential material.  If you were not an
intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies.