Thanks for the fast reply! It works perfectly!

Ellen

Miguel Angel Sánchez wrote:
You can check txt_tf.textWidth before and after adding a character to the textfield, if it doesn't change, the character is not embedded. Something like this:

//Your textfield in stage with some characters embedded
var tf:TextField;

//The characters you want to test
var chars:String = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123";

for (var i:Number=0; i<chars.length; i++) {
   var previousWidth:Number = tf.textWidth;
   tf.text += chars.charAt(i);
if (tf.textWidth==previousWidth) trace(chars.charAt(i) + " is not embedded");
}

Ellen Sundh escribió:
Hi!

I wonder if there is a way to count characters visible in a textfield? I have a text where not all characters are embeded in the textfield and I want to check how many that are.. So it would be great if there was I way to check the length of the text in the textfield and not the original string.

I use this code, but it returns the same number of characters even though the textfield displays less characters.
latin1 = "ÀÁÂÃÄÅ..";
trace("latin1 " + latin1.length);
txt_tf.text = latin1;
trace("txt_tf.text " + txt_tf.text.length);

Thanks in advance!

Ellen

Ellen Sundh
Flash Developer

Great Works
. . . . . . . . . . . . Mobile: +46 73 200 40 73
Office: +46 8 528 077 73
Sveavägen 66
111 34 Stockholm
                         /|_