Frank Baumgartner wrote:
I've already been Flash Player together with custom C++ solutions under Windows
and it's working nicely.
However, at the moment i am very interested on cross-plattform development using flash
for user interfaces on both windows and OSX, but i've got very little experiences on OSX
development, especially concerning the topic "how to access flash player on OSX
!?".

This might be tricky, cross-platform. Here's the background:

Netscape 2.0 introduced a cross-platform browser extension mechanism, named Netscape Plugins. These platform-specific extensions were installed at the application level, into the browser, and could then support cross-platform SWF files.

But Microsoft used a different extension mechanism for its Windows browsers. They used the system-level ActiveX Controls. This is why the nested OBJECT/EMBED structure is used, and affected why the W3C outlawed EMBED and settled on OBJECT.

Because ActiveX Controls are system-level components, they can then be invoked by any application on the system. Netscape Plugins, though, are bound to the application space instead of the system space. That's why it's easy to do what you're doing on Windows, and more difficult on other platforms, or on Windows boxes which prefer Firefox to IE.

If your XCode skills include the hosting of Netscape Plugins, then you might be able to tap into the Mozilla Plugins folder yourself, or else ask your audience to copy the plugin into your own local directory (or do it during installation, etc). I haven't studied how XCode handles this, and how easy it makes it to host Netscape Plugins, but that would be the path on anything other than a straight Microsoft system.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd