Hi Paul

Actually Math.random always return a positive number between 0 and 1 so you can further simplify to:

if (Math.random() < .5) {
bestXPos = i; }

/Chris

Paul Steven wrote:
Thanks Jim. I was curious as I have seen Math.rand() mentioned on various
flash forums and even on one of the macromedia / adobe live docs page. But I
guess these were just mistakes by people familiar with Java.

For my particular need, I have just simplified it to

if (Math.abs(Math.random()) < (0.5)) {
bestXPos = i; }

As I was not sure what exactly the Java code did but realised it simply
wanted to implement making a random choice.

Thanks

Paul