I think the explanation stated that _root is not in fact a MovieClip in the same sense. onMouseDown works because it fires globally in response to the mouse, not because _root is a MovieClip.

Can I ask, why do you need to use onPress and onRelease on _root anyway? Is there some other solution? If you use a release handler on _root it will make the release handlers on all nested MovieClips inaccessible which seems like a bad way to go to me...