Thanks for the response Joey. I actually tried a similar method before that
almost worked. From Flash I did this -

getURL("javascript:document.mySWF.SetVariable('referringDomain',document.loc
ation.host)");

The problem I ran into was that in IE as soon as this line executes the page
stops rendering. This is especially problematic when the swf begins before
the page is done loading. The page never completes. Also, several sites I am
targeting, like mySpace, restrict javascript. I'm not sure what would happen
if I tried writing javascript at runtime to a mySpace page.