Another way (maybe a smarter and cleaner one):

create an array of children and fill it when you attach the children mc.
var children:Array = [];
function addChild(link:String, name:String, depth:Number){
 var child:MovieClip = this.attachMovie(link, name, depth);
 children.push(child);
}

and then later in your code:

for (var i:Number = 0; i < children.length; i) {
 var child:MovieClip = children[i];
 // do your child mc manipulations...
}

Hope it helps ;-)