> What is the minimum cost to start using Flex?  (I mean in a
> production version.  I do not want to start using a beta or a
> trial of something and then have it break and be stuck.)

The Flex SDK, which includes a compiler, is free. Flex apps are SWF files,
which can be deployed on a server without requiring any Flex-specific
server-side components. The FlexBuilder IDE, which is very helpful for
developing Flex applications, is ~$450 for the basic version and ~$750 if
you also purchase the charting components, if I recall correctly. The big
difference between Flex 2 and previous versions is the lack of a required
server-side component; there's no Flex server necessary for Flex
applications, although you'll probably use Flash Remoting or SOAP to get
data into a Flex application, and both of those will require some sort of
server-side programming. But that's no different really from how you'd use
CF or ASP.NET or whatever with Flash using Remoting.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/