Hi Chris,
 It entirely depends on the project. There's an optional FTP task
(requires some extra libs) that comes with Ant which we use for simple
file uploads. Off the top of my head, we've used combinations of:

- hand-written calls to SVN (i.e. using the exec task) to update and to tag
- writing/reading of .properties files (to maintain build numbers
etc.) using the property task
- the optional FTP task
- the Zip task for creating single-file packages (to, for example,
send a server install/distribution to a client)
- integration with NSIS (more exec tasks) to build Windows installers
(for Flash projectors)
- even, sometimes, simple copies across Windows/Samba fileshares for deployment

In the past we've written our own extensions to Ant to make some of
the tasks much simpler in Ant syntax; but over time (as Ant has
developed) we moved away from that.

At the place I worked four or five years ago we had a lot more
integration on the server side; e.g. you checked in your shared
classes and a hook (in CVS, in those days) fired off a server-side
test suite and a rebuild of the API documentation based on those
classes; but we've not had a need (yet!) for that here.

Cheers.
  Ian