Just a txt.textWidth should do the trick

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Perdue,
Blake
Sent: donderdag 21 december 2006 22:28
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: [Flashcoders] Measuring width of some text

I need to measure the width of some text. Here's the function I'm using:

private function getTextWidth(txt,fontSize) {

var fmt=new TextFormat();

            fmt.font='Univers 67 CondensedBold';

            fmt.size=fontSize;

            fmt.autoSize='left';

            var metrics=fmt.getTextExtent(txt);

            return metrics.textFieldWidth;

}

This function is not predictable - for the same text, it returns different
numbers on different OSes or flash player versions:

-          works fine in IE/FF for flash player 6

-          doesn't work in Mac Safari for flash player 6

-          works fine in IE/FF for flash player 8 using Service Pack 1

-          doesn't work for IE/FF for flash player 8 using Service Pack
2

Is there another function I can use, or another way to go about measuring
the width of some text?

Blake Perdue | 212.522.1292 | AIM: blakepCNN

Premier Authorized Adobe Consulting and Training http://www.figleaf.com