he told me was that FLEX could not consume web services without Flex Data
Services

Uh, no. You can consume webservices in Flex. I'm guessing it must conform to
SOAP, which shouldn't be a problem. .NET, CF, all good.

Is this true, or can FLEX consume a web serivce but with limiations?  By
limitations, for example, not being able to consume a .Net dataset directly
- needing to pass the data into an array.

Not sure what you mean by that. You can hook up to a webservice. You cannot
hook up 'directly' to .NET, if you mean some kind of remoting connection
(RTMP?), unless you set something up like that in .NET. PHP has AMFPHP and
CF has Flash Remoting built in. However, you could set up a socket server in
.NET and hook flex 2 directly to that, since it now has binary socket
functionality.

-Scott