I managed something like this by embedding my Flash movie in a Director movie, which managed the saving of the XML. I'm afraid I no longer have access to the files, but I seem to remember it didn't take me very long to implement.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Henry Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 5:11 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Saving out XML direct from Flash?

'lo all

I'm noodling around with a little app that I'd like to be able to write out
some internally generated XML directly to the user's hard disc. Preferably
with a nice FileReference type interface.

But this seems next to impossible. I was hoping it would be possible to hack FileReference to take file conetent from a variable, rather than a URL, but that looks like a no-go. My second idea was to write to a SharedObject, then
pass that through FileReference, but I can't find a way of finding out the
path to the SO file within Flash. I've spent the afternoon reading about
MMSave, FSCommand "save" and ASnative(302, 0) and coming to the conclusion
that they're deprecated as hell and useless to me.

So does anyone have any good suggestions? I'm not averse to dirty hacks, but this is a standalone app, so I can't bounce the file back off a server, and
I really don't want to use one of those weird extended projectors if I can
avoid it.

Cheers,
Henry