Mick G wrote:
I've always wondered why there is no option to omit comments when publishing
a SWF. We all try comment our code as much as possible and at times it can
double (or more) the number of lines of code in an application.

This would especially make sense when using other people's classes or
extensions (which are normally highly commented for everyone to understand).

Am I wrong in thinking that comments are included in a SWF when it's
published?

Comments are not included in the output SWF bytecode. You easily verify that this is indeed the case for yourself with a SWF decompiler or by examining the SWF file format specification (available free from Adobe with registration and agreement to the license terms).

Trace statements, on the other hand, are included by default, but can be omitted in your publish preferences.

Jim