If I understand correctly, you want users to click on a link that then opens
up a new window that is fullscreen and closes the previous window that is
now behind.

This is what we do:

<script language="Javascript">
        function openWindow()
        {

window.open("**URL**","NewWindow","width="+screen.width+",height="+screen.he
ight+",left = 0,top =
0,fullscreen=yes,navigationbar=no,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,stat
us=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no");
                closeWindow();
        }

        function closeWindow()
        {
                window.open('','_parent','');
                window.opener = window;
                window.close();
        }
</script>

After playing around with many options, this code seems to work well for us.
Remember, fullscreen is not really fullscreen anymore.  You still have some
browser chrome left behind and in IE 7 there's a bar left behind in
fullscreen that you can't remove by default.  So unless you plan to scale
your content, adjust the area size of your file accordingly.

Joey Rivera
Flash Developer
iLearn, Inc.