If you feel like this:

GoF makes me very sleepy - I find it very dry and the chapters very long
winded.  (Sorry GoF'rs)

then:

I would be interested to know if Head First Design Patterns follows the
same process as Moock - "learn by doing".  I can handle that, although I
will keep delving into GoF, keeping an oven timer handy to bring me back
from the brink.

You will probably get a lot out of this book. The examples are (within
reason) interesting, and as with all the head first books and they've made a
very concerted effort to liven up what is to some a fairly dry topic.

I learnt a lot from this book; now if i need to research a particular
pattern, mostly i'll use the internet.

http://www.google.com/codesearch is great for examples.

Also would highly recommend ActionScript 3 Design Patterns by Joey Lott and
Danny Patterson, for any actionscript programmers wanting to understand
appliying patterns in flash/flex, it covers most of the main ones.