Thanks for the heads-up, Alias (and good to hear from you again ;) )

The original attachment's up at
http://www.prehensile.co.uk/dropbox/Untitled-1.gif. I'm using the old
blur-lots-then-threshold technique.

I've done a bit more research, and the way I understand it, most
antialiasing techniques work by calculating the sub-pixel positions of
things, and setting the brightness of the closest corresponding pixels
accordingly. In this case, however, I already have an aliased bitmap with no
sub-pixel information.

I guess an algorithm could be conceived that would somehow infer sub-pixel
values, but this feels like it would be unnecessary faff, and very slow.
Anyone know of a quick-and-dirty way of smoothing a bitmap? I guess I could
render at a higher resolution than needed and scale down, to mimic
calculating sub-pixels, but that also feels inefficient. There must be a
clever cheaty way of doing this?

h.