Muzak,

Perfect ...and a great resource in general also!

Thanks,
--Dave

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:56:03 +0100
From: "Muzak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Re: extends MovieClip

http://muzakdeezign.com/flashcoders/?q=dynamically%20assign%20class
http://muzakdeezign.com/flashcoders/?q=dynamically%20associate% 20movieclip%20class

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Cohn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 7:15 PM
Subject: [Flashcoders] Re: extends MovieClip

Hey all,

Thanks for all the insights!

Sounds like you are trying to extend an instance of a MovieClip...

Yes, this mistake did creep into my thinking a bit-- thanks for
getting me back on track!

I'm trying to create code such that a graphic designer can hand me a
movieClip and I can slap a class on it to define behavior integral to
the movieClip ("extends MovieClip").  An instance of the movieClip
would then instantiate the class, with the possibility of passing
arguments to the constructor.  I'd also like to use multiple
inheritence, but I think I can work around that by using sub-classes:

private var type1handler;
private var type2handler;

function blah( type1:String, type2:String ) {
switch(type1) {
case a:  type1handler = new <class1_a>
case b:  type1handler = new <class1_b>
}