To respond to the recent activity on this thread:
Erik, the core functionality that I need really does need to be
comprehensive and fairly generic: so, given any 3rd party swf which I
don't have a priori knowledge of, determine which object is currently
underneath the mouse.  It needs to work for any movieclip or TextField
object.  It's proprietary so I can't really disclose why I need it.
You mention that implementing this would be process intensive: this is
ok to start.  The way I would like to tackle this problem is to get it
working functionally, and worry about performance later.

Karina, Jason, the approaches you are suggesting of looping through
all the movieclips and calling hitTest() on each one is exactly what
my first approach was (see my first email in this thread).  The
problem is that very often multiple movieclips will return
hitTest()==true for a given mouse position (clips at different depths,
clips obscuring others, etc).  That's what I meant by "2 conflicting
objects" in my first mail.  I'm trying to find an algorithm to resolve
conflicts.

There is another approach which Erik mentioned, which is to
define/override the onRollOver callback for every object that I care
about, and set some variable that keeps track of the last object that
invoked onRollOver.  I have tried this before, and I ditched it
because I couldn't find a way to get TextField objects to invoke an
onRollOver callback (or to otherwise respond to a 'roll over' event).
Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
Vishal