That's because you're still not refrencing an object that exists:

>>this._data["a"] = new Object();

You're saying, Hey, _data, make your "a" property an object.  But Flash
is saying, hold on cowboy, I don't see any property of _data called "a".

So instead:

private function createData():Void {
        this._data = new Object();
        this._data.a = new Object();
        this._data.a = {"t1":0, "t2":0};
}

Or use the one-liner Steve just posted, which is intead, an explicit
declaration.  I use that one commonly.

Jason Merrill
Bank of America
Learning & Organizational Effectiveness