*I Dont need help I was writing this and I figured it out so I'm posting it
so that other people don't run into the same issue *
The error was caused because I had a bunch of text on the stage evidently
causing some sort of memory issue probably due to anti-aliasing or something
.. though flash 8 could have handled it fine.  This caused mouse events not
to be triggered when they should have been.  The flash 9 developers are
probably still working out the kinks.

Original writing :

This one is puzzling me.
There seems to be some trouble with the either the event model or something
I can't explain.

So theres a button and you click on it.  Except the first time you click on
it it doesn't register the event (the event listener is set in a superclass
via a method call).  The method is called in the child classes constructor.
So it should be listening for t

so if you wait a second or two and don't move the mouse the click then
registers.  If you move the mouse around a bit the click also registers.
Anyone know whats going on?