I wait until the
MovieClipLoader's listener object receives the onLoadInit call before
allowing the loaded swf to continue.

I'm late to this but shouldn't it be onLoadComplete()

Andrew

On 23 Feb 2007, at 21:53, Jay Bibby wrote:

Hi,

I'm at my wits end on this and I don't know where to turn for help. Numerous Google searches have turned up little in the way of anyone encountering a
similar issue.

I have an interface shell swf that handles the selection, loading and
display of various external game swfs within it. All are loaded via a
MovieClipLoader object and all of them have _lockroot set to true.

One particular game behaves fine when loaded the first time into the shell. But loaded a 2nd time, I get the following 256 levels of recursion error
message...

256 levels of recursion were exceeded in one action list.
This is probably an infinite loop.
Further execution of actions has been disabled in this movie.

The error occurs while the external swf is attaching a movieclip from its
library...

t = _root.attachMovie("title", "title", 1000);

I thought perhaps that it just might be a timing issue, since loading the swf a second time is virtually instantaneous, even though I wait until the
MovieClipLoader's listener object receives the onLoadInit call before
allowing the loaded swf to continue.

So I created several delays in the swf, via timeouts and also by extending the main timeline. Doing so actually seemed to fix the problem. The title screen was created and the start button on it was functional. Subsequently starting the game created the first puzzle and all seemed good until one of the objects in the first puzzle was clicked on... then the same recursion
error.

I'm at my wits end.

To recap: The game functions perfectly the first time it is loaded. However, after unloading the swf and reloading it again, the same swf seems to be
unstable.

Has anyone seen similar behavior before when using externally loaded swfs?
Or do you have any ideas as to what to look for in the code?

Thanks very much.

Jay
jayisgames.com