Hi Ian,

   sorry for the late reply. I've been sooooo busy. I personally recomend
NOT worrying about design patterns and such. Instead, go for a good AS2
book which will, as a matter of course lead you through the principals
of good Object Oriented design and development. The principals are
truly very simple but there tends to be a belief that they are
attainable only by years of study and self abuse. This is entirely
untrue. If you simply want to learn OO design and programming then I
would recommend any of the myriad of excellent OO or Java for beginners
books as these are truely excellent. If, however, you want to learn
your OOD and OOP on actionscript itself (as this is obviously more
relevant) then I have to recomend New Riders' Object Oriented
Programming in Actionscript 2.0. I found this an invaluable reference.
It's worth mentioning at this point that AS 3.0 will be more stricly
typed (see your OO book for that reference) and as such more of a
strict OO language. As such you'd be well advised to get a decent AS 3
book once you've got the principals of OO in AS 2 under your belt. FoE
are bringing out a Foundation AS3 book which is aimed at giving
designers and new developers a better handle on AS3.

Good luck mate
Sean McSharry
www.flashcoder.net/blog