Thanks Paul

Basically it is a collapse style game - where when the user clicks on a ball
that has 2 similar balls adjacent, all 3 balls disappear and the other
surrounding balls will move to fill any spaces created from the removed
balls.

Here is the basic approach I am taking:

I have a 2 dimensional array storing the game grid, each array element
stores the contents of the grid square. So the content of each square will
be either a ball object or have the value "none".

After a cluster of balls are removed, I first loop through each of the
columns, and within this column loop through all the balls in this column
and check if there is a ball below it.

If there is no ball, then I attach an onEnterFrame function to make this
ball start falling. I also set the value of this grid square to "none". The
onEnterFrame function will adjust the y position of the ball. It will also
check if the ball is at a node - if so then it checks the contents of the
square below it to see if it can fall further or if it needs to stop. If it
stops then I set the value of this grid square in the grid array to this
ball object.

Once all the columns have been checked for falling balls, I then loop
through all the columns again and check if any columns can move horizontally
to fill any gaps that may have appeared.

Due to this problem of the onEnterFrame not being called in the order I
assigned it, I am getting the problem where a grid square is not being
recorded as full until too late so a ball is able to move into a square that
another ball has just moved into.

I think as you suggest, I need to first create a list of all objects that
are going to move and then iterate through this loop so that the balls move
in the correct order.

Any advice much appreciated!

Paul