I haven't used FAMES myself, so I can't really give you a whole lot of
help, but I do vaguely remember something like this from when I was
looking into it.

One of the tutorials I saw about getting flashout set up was that the
class it generates has problems with the latest version of MTASC.
There was something about having to go into that file and replace all
instances of "TRACE" with "trace".  Since you seem to be having
problems using TRACE, maybe that's the culprit.

Here's the tutorial I was looking at:
http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=F3ECF

Hope that helps!

  -Andy