Im not sure it’s the right direction but you can try:
system.useCodepage=true;
Nimrod

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Sacks
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:32 PM
To: flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com
Subject: [Flashcoders] Localization issue with XML

Hey Flashcoders,

I'm having an issue with special characters not showing up from other
languages, such as German (ü, ö, etc.).  The issue is specifically with text
loaded in from XML.

The textfields are set to embed all latin glyphs (1076 glyphs, Uppercase,
Lowercase, Numerals, Punctuation, Latin I, Latin Extended A, Latin Extended
B, and Latin Extended Add'l).

All text is wrapped in CDATA tags.

I've tried saving the xml file with 8 bit and UTF-8 encoding and neither
works.

XML header is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

If I set the text of the textfield with Actionscript to a string with those
characters in it, no problem, they all show up just fine.

// This works
txt.htmlText = "wofür benötigen";

However, when I display it from the XML, they show up as regular o and u
characters.

// Does not work
<item><![CDATA[wofür benötigen]]></item>

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steven