Hey Douglas,

To answer  your question, the technique is to create a BitmapData object
initialized to the width/height of  your movieclip, you then call draw()
passing the movieclip you want to convert.

This is something I've done in Flex. It's much easier in AS3 as there are
jpeg/png encoders out there that encode BitmapData objects into byte arrays.
The encoding phase is a little resource intensive, but once it's done, you
have a compressed object you can send and write straight to the HD without
any encoding on the server side.

<www.pierinc.com>