Hm.  I haven't used ExternalInterface at al (I'm stuck with Flash 7),
so I'm not really sure what the problem could be.  Though you might be
able to do it as a callback (have the javascript function call some
function in your Flash movie to give it the value).  The control flow
for that would be a bit odd, but it might work if you can't get it to
return correctly.

 -Andy