You can read and write any text files, so you can certainly read and
write AS files.

Here is the full Flash 8 JSFL API PDF document which is IMPOSSIBLE to
find anymore on Adobe's site.

http://tinyurl.com/2qu83v

Of particular interest to you are:

Flfile Object

Flfilre.read(fileOrFolderURI);
Flfile.write(fileURI, textToWrite);

etc.

Hope this helps you.  JSFL rocks.  I've used it to create many handy
tools.

One thing that will save you some headaches if you make Panels out of
your JSFL tools is make sure you DOCK the panels in Flash.  For some
reason, certain JSFL actions that modify objects on the timeline are
broken if called from a free floating panel.  It's a bug and it's
probably known and I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon.

Cheers!