Thanks to you all, even Steven! ;-)
I now use setNewTextFormat again, which worked and works best for me.
It works not in combination with htmlText, so I still use plain text
for my input fields. I make a note to myself to not trying to change
again. :-)))

@Bianca: Yes this workaround with react on getting focus is possible
but makes things very complicated.

@Arul: I am not so convinced of using onLoad(), because I don't see
any advantages, because my MovieClips are made by classes only and
everything they use like embedded fonts are already existent/loaded to
the flashplayer, that I am sure.
And in the API Doc stands "You use this handler only with movie clips
for which you have a symbol in the library that is associated with a
class.", so I don't know, if it makes a difference to my textfield
problem. I am going to check this..

@Steven: I am into Flash for a while now! I am not going back! :-) I
don't like to always wait for one frame, because these frames would
become more&more the more UI classes I would attach within the
configUI methods of their parents.. you know.
Hacks and workaround are not so special to ActionScript, I think. I
think, Javascript is beating AS a lot since AJAX arrived.

But thanks to all again for sharing their suggestions and experience,
because this is, what makes Flashcoders and the Flash community that
great.

Regards,
Matthias