Alright, where you have

//Hold playhead here
stop();

//Declare global variable for tracking the number of sounds currently
playing
_global.soundsPlaying = 0;

//Create function to load in random sound file onRollOver
this.onRollOver = function() {
   //Check to see if soundsPlaying is less than specified limit
   if (_global.soundsPlaying < 6) {
       //Define variable for random sound file number
       soundNumber = Math.round(Math.random()*7)+1;
       var soundFile:Sound = new Sound();
       soundFile.loadSound("sounds_library/conflict_"+soundNumber+".mp3",
true);
       soundFile.onLoad = function(success:Boolean):Void  {
           if (success) {
               soundFile.start();
           }
       };
       //Increment soundsPlaying variable
       _global.soundsPlaying++;
       trace(soundsPlaying);
       //Decrement soundsPlaying variable when sound finishes
       soundFile.onSoundComplete = function(){
           _global.soundsPlaying--;
           trace(soundsPlaying);
       };
   }
   //Define function to load a new random image onRelease
   frameNumber = Math.round(Math.random()*3)+1;
   maskBox.gotoAndPlay("tran"+frameNumber);
};

replace it with this:

//Hold playhead here
stop();
var soundsNowPlaying:Array = new Array();
_global.counterJ = 0;
//Declare global variable for tracking the number of sounds currently
playing
_global.soundsPlaying = 0;

//Create function to load in random sound file onRollOver
this.onRollOver = function() {
   //Check to see if soundsPlaying is less than specified limit
   if (_global.soundsPlaying < 10) {
       //Define variable for random sound file number
       soundNumber = Math.round(Math.random()*7)+1;
       soundsNowPlaying[counter] = new Sound();

soundsNowPlaying[counter].loadSound("sounds_library/conflict_"+soundNumber+".mp3",
true);
       soundsNowPlaying[counter].onLoad = function(success:Boolean):Void  {
           if (success) {
               this.start();
       //Increment soundsPlaying variable
       _global.soundsPlaying++;
       //trace(soundsPlaying);
       //Decrement soundsPlaying variable when sound finishes
       soundsNowPlaying[counter].onSoundComplete = function(){
           _global.soundsPlaying--;
           delete this;
       };
       _global.counterJ++;
       trace(_global.counterJ);
   }
   //Define function to load a new random image onRelease
   frameNumber = Math.round(Math.random()*3)+1;
   maskBox.gotoAndPlay("tran"+frameNumber);
}

and tell me if that helps out. If yes I'll explain whats happening and if
no, then I'll try and find something else.