The problem with using proxies is that you circumvent compile-time
checking. I find that there are better ways of dealing with such
situations. Three suggestions:

1) In the handler function, look for a property of the event target.
This works for most cases where you need a handler function to react
differently in a given situation. (For example, different buttons
could carry an "index" event that the handler looks for via
MyButtonClass(event.target).index.)

2) Differentiate the event type and have one handler deal with several
event types. This is not useful in cases where you may have an
unlimited number of different responses, and generally I wouldn't
recommend this as a solution, but there may be some cases where it's
appropriate.

3) Create a new subclass of Event with one or more extra properties.
(For example, IndexEvent, with an added property, "index".)

By the way, I think the AS3 syntax for this:

button.onRelease=myFunction;  // AS3

... is actually:

button.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, myFunction);

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology