Ugh, it's working, but this whole situation, and the solution, makes no
sense.

I started testing this with ethereal to monitor the requests, and a
combination of ethereal and the server logs showed some pretty odd behavior.

Ethereal and IE/FF showed a POST request for the testing.php, with the
pleasePost=Bite%20Me. Firebug showed empty post variables.

Ethereal and IE/FF showed a POST response from the testing.php, with the
Array ( [pleasePost] -> "Bite Me". Firebug showed Array ().

Adding in code to return a variable to flash from php, and the actionscript
to handle _result_lv.onLoad() still resulted in no data in _result_lv. But
implementing _result_lv.onData() output the correct unparsed data.

About this time the admin let me know that for some strange reason, every
POST request from flash to testing.php was followed by a GET request to
testing.php with no parameters. Also there was a 404 response to a request
for "favicon.ico", which has nothing to do with anything, but it's there.
Admin tried the same thing, and was not getting the second GET request, nor
the request for the favicon.ico. Coworker in the same office was getting
same result as I was using firefox/firebug.

I'm at a complete loss for an explanation, but it's working. I'm not sure
whether to blame firebug, firefox, or something else entirely, like my
crappy machine here.

I'd still kill to know what the heck was going on, but I'm betting I'm going
to have to chalk this one up to "sunspots", "the boogey man" or "weird crap
I make flash do when coding sloppily."

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to go hide and pretend I didn't waste
8 dev hours on this : X