The main trouble I'm running into when trying to prove what I do here
is that we have almost NO organization in our company and no clear
path to any given team or individual.  A good example is that anyone
(salesperson, PR guy, creative director, client) can come to ANYONE in
my department and request work.  Then that person in my dept requests
a project code from a person in Switzerland who has no contact with us
whatsoever, and then that person is the 'owner' of the project and is
responsible for seeing it through.  If the graphic designer learns
about a highly technical project from a client, he will technically
own it, but I will of course run it.  Since my boss does little to no
due diligence into what the team is doing (he just expects everything
to be done when it's supposed to be done) then he has no idea what is
going on behind the scenes.  He just sees that a project either gets
done on time or it doesn't, and since I am the most technical, I am
blamed for failures yet not rewarded for successes (the boss actually
takes credit for successes after I sit down with him for hours and
explain the architecture and selling points of any given system.)

We have a serious management failure, lack of management all together,
and so the people making the world go around will never be recognized
for what we do.

Until we leave.

The only reason I'm here at this point is due to my significant
investment in this company.  It is dysfunctional from the top down,
but there are some amazing ideas and some amazing people in this
organization (global company).  I've decided that I am going to follow
through with the current project I'm driving, and if things do not
change a great deal afterward, I will take another job and make things
happen there.  There is so much information that I could divulge in
testament to the extreme dysfunctionality, but that would be neither
wise nor effective use of my time.

Hope this gives some insight into how much a corporate structure/lack
of structure affects my/your compensation, confidence, earning
ability, growth potential, etc.

Cheers!