Thanks guys. I emailed the author earlier today and got a nice, positive
response - you were right, Mark, his position is that he doesn't want to
place any restrictions on the way people use his work, short of passing it
off as their own ;)

I'm just trying to be super-careful here, because there's some IP issues,
and the client are a fairly large, public organisation, so I'm trying to do
everything by the book. Permission from the author rules all though, right?
Obviously, I'm going to make sure he gets credit and there's a clear line
between our work and his etc etc...

Thanks again,
h.

On 02/05/07, Mark Winterhalder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/2/07, Robert Brisita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If you have to go the GPL route,  you can tell your employers that all
> the code is in the SWF anyway, making it
> available just takes away an extra step from the process of acquiring
> the code.

Uhm... I really don't think that "can be decompiled" qualifies as
"making code publicly available". Local vars and comments aside, the
same would be true for Java and lots of other languages.

Frankly, I think there is a good possibility the author intended the
lib to be used the way you want to, and just chose the GPL as a
generic open source license without giving the implications any
thought. A short mail should clear things up, and a positive reply
could be taken as permission (the author can license his code to
anybody any way s/he pleases). So just mail the author, describe what
you want to do, and ask nicely if it's OK.

Generally, I would like some more clarity on the LGPL in regards to
SWFs. The way I interpret it, libraries would have to be loaded as an
extra SWF to be on the safe side, but I can't imagine this is the
intention of most of the authors.

Mark