Currently we're using Flash 8, but switching to Flex is also an option.
The thing is that we are building a Java Desktop Application, forgot to mention that, it's not a web application.

FYI, ExternalInterface can be used with any other platform if the proper hooks are in place. It can be done with JavaScript, C# and Java (with JavaFlash)

As I said JavaFlash is still in beta and I'm looking for other options, but not web options as Robert proposed. Thanks for the advice tho !

We have FLash running inside a widget created by SWT Flash. Inside it we can use a flashobject widget with code looking like this :

      flashobject.setVariable(String name, String value)

wich is the basic setVariable sending only strings. We need to be able to call Flash Methods as well, so we would like to do flashobject.FlashMethodCall(args)

So far the only thing we can do is use FSCommand and pass variables as strings ... If it's the only option, we'll go back to the old "parse the string to extract your data" way.
Otherwise any other option is welcome ! :)

Thanks !