My apologies Muzak, I think I sent my previous answer to your private email;
If i forget to change the address, when i click 'replay' to an email, for some strange reasons, this lists uses the originator's address and not the lists', sheesh!

any how Thank you for the info. i have tried to access the page but the server must be down at the moment, i will follow up later.

In any case, t he reason I want all the info in a database is so that the client can manage/amend/update the content via a dedicated CMS and be totally independent of the developers (me).

Meis a ctually a team of three doing a group project (uni project) for a real client who needs total independence at the end. The client and his staff are not programmers at all so I thought, if I use the databse approach I can use the table names to populate my menues and the content of the tables to drive the content of the site as required.

Am I on the wrong track completely?

As you can see I am not at a level that will afford me any ease during production so any tips are much appreciated.

Thanks

JohnT

Muzak wrote:

Heya John,

If the data will eventually be coming from a database, don't use XML.
See my previous reply on why not to use JSON with a text file ;-)

When communicating with a database I'd avoid using XML (and even JSON for that
matter).
Have a look at Flash Remoting instead which allows you to receive data in a
format that Flash understands.

For PHP, there's AMFPHP:
http://www.amfphp.org

Now with all that said, I'm wondering why you'd want to store menu information
in a database at all.
Storing this in a database doesn't really make sense to me:
   about us
   news
   portfolio

regards,