not sure I made myself clear - given a desaturated greyscale image I need to
be able to tint it to an RGB value - so black stays black, white stays white
and rgb=128,128,228 (50% grey) is the actual colour - with all the shade in
between. I need to be able to do this by using code like this:

[as3]
   trace("composite startTime:"+getTimer());
   // tint
   var matrix:Array = new Array();
   matrix = matrix.concat([r1, r2, r3, r4, r5]);
   matrix = matrix.concat([g1, g2, g3, g4, g5]);
   matrix = matrix.concat([b1, b2, b3, b4, b5]);
   matrix = matrix.concat([a1, a2,a3, a4, a5]);
   var tintFilter = new ColorMatrixFilter(matrix);
[/as3]

so how do I work out the r's g's and b's in the matrix?

Cheers

Mike