On 5/14/07, Danny Kodicek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I understand the theory but unfortunately there's a down-side. For *reading*
lists, it's great to have them categorised in this way, but for *posting* to
them, it can cause problems. As a Director user, I have quite a few lists to
choose from, among which are Dir3d-l, devoted to 3d issues, and dirGames-L,
devoted to games programming (in Flash too, incidentally - it's a good list
and might benefit from some Flash heads). Now, when I have an issue related
to 3d in a games context, which list do I post to to ensure the right people
read it? Either I have to choose one or the other, resulting in missing out
on some potential advice, or I cross-post, with the result that those who
read both lists (a fair proportion) get two copies of the same message.
Neither really is ideal. In the end, a general list for experts can be more
useful, with a serious naming and shaming of those who post messages with
crappy subject lines.

I'm not saying the idea is unworkable, but it's worth pointing out what we
lose by it.

Hmm... Good point. There probably would be plenty of cross posts.
Still, I believe there are aspects that could be separated. The Flash
JS API. mx.*. Stuff like that. There probably are special lists for
those, but if they would be under the same Figleaf umbrella it would
be easier to refer people to it and the community would stay intact.

Anyway, I would very much appreciate a Flash oriented list discussing
design (in the technical sense). If somebody knows of something like
that, please let me know.

Mark