You know I see this sort of solution a lot but I wonder if you have
considered having the second class be a decoration of the first.

Simple example...

class myCoreFunctions {
 private extendedFunctions:myExtendedFunctions;

 function myCoreFunctions(flag:Boolean){
   if(flag){
     extendedFunctions = new myExtenededFunctions;

class myExtendedFunctions{

 function myExtendedFunctions(){

Not everything need be extended.

Charles P.