John,

create a function that has to be called once the information is being
loaded.

onload = yourfunction;

or you can also do what you are doing currently...

myMenuData.onLoad = function(success) {
 if (success) {
yourfunction();
}

now you can place all the information you need inside yourfunction();

function yourfunction(){

dothis;
dothat;
do this other;

};

All the components you need to allow your application to stop you have them
with you already, all you have to do is learn how to use them. Also look
closely to Muzak's reply ;) hope this helps.

...helmut